Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Faces Behind Technology For Africa

          As the students are about to embark on the journey of a lifetime, each member of the Technology For Africa has taken a moment to share their thoughts, emotions, and feelings about the upcoming trip to Cameroon, Africa! 


Will Munce                                                      Junior
Major: Business Administration

"I'm really not sure what to expect in Cameroon besides incredible hospitality and our fair share of challenges. Despite seeing pictures of the last team's visit, I still don't think that I quite grasp how beautiful the country is or how truly impoverished the country is. I feel like I need to be preparing myself mentally or emotionally for this experience, but I'm just not sure how. It almost feels as if I'm approaching the experience some what emotionally blind if you will, but that only compounds the excitement I have." 


 Carolyn Upchurch
Sophomore                      
Major: International Studies
Minor: French

"I can't believe it's finally here! We've been preparing for our trip to
Cameroon over the last seven months, and the anticipation and excitement for this project has grown stronger every day. I cannot wait to experience the final stage of what has been a long and educating
process--I do not doubt that this will be one of the most rewarding adventures in my lifetime. I hope that my time in Cameroon will alter my perspective; living in a developed country, we often forget that there are other human beings that do not have the resources that we have. I am so excited aid these students and teachers in developing opportunities for their futures--just putting forth a small amount of effort can do so much to make a difference in peoples' lives. I think this is the most important thing I have learned so far."



Brittany Errico
Junior
Major: Business Administration
Concentration in Marketing

"I can hardly believe that we are finally getting on a plane for Cameroon in just a few days! I am so excited to meet all the students at the elementary school and the university and be 
able to personally see how our fundraising will affect their 
lives. I hope I can form new relationships, remember every 
new experience, and take a thousand pictures!"


Courtney Marous
Junior
Major: International Business
Minor: French

"I cannot believe that we will be in Africa at the end of this week!! I feel so incredibly blessed to have had the opportunity to be a part of a project of this magnitude. The support that we have encountered throughout this journey has renewed my faith in humanity and made me realize how many people are ready to step up and make a change in the world. The aspect of the upcoming trip that I am looking forward to the most is getting to know the children and the people in the community. I can hardly wait to see their faces as we bring opportunities that will change their lives and provide them with the chance to truly better their knowledge and scope of the world."

1 comment: